SENIOR DIRECTOR, MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS, JOHNS HOPKINS MEDICINE (JHM) COMMUNITY DIVISION, NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
(April 2014-December 2017)
Promoted into new position designed to provide unified marketing leadership for JHM marketing in the Washington, DC region, with oversight over marketing and communications for both Sibley Memorial Hospital and Suburban Hospital as members of JHM. Responsibilities included:
- Implement coordinated and collaborative marketing and communications programs that minimize competition between the two hospitals, advance their reputations and awareness, and meet their individual branding, communication and marketing needs while strengthening the Johns Hopkins Medicine brand in the DC region.
- Improve executive communications as a service to presidents of both hospitals.
- Achieve greater efficiencies and cost savings.
- Coordinate overall JHM brand positioning in DC region and support and lead system-wide initiatives.
- Developed innovative, low cost solution for increasing patient volume in DC region through establishment of a Marketing Call Center housed at Suburban Hospital but serving Suburban, Sibley and Johns Hopkins Community Physicians. In year 4, the Call Center processed more than 3,500 calls and online form requests, providing more than 14,000 patient referrals to aligned physicians on an equitable basis among the three JHM entities.
- Successfully transitioned focus from traditional print and broadcast advertising to more targeted, cost-effective digital promotion including online advertising and search engine marketing (SEM).
- Developed first and second iterations of www.jhmdc.org to drive patients to Marketing Call Center using SEM.
- Initiated first New Mover program integrating all Hopkins entities in National Capital Region, pushing marketing messages to 4,000 households monthly.
- Increased awareness of Suburban Hospital as a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine to 58 percent as measured in online survey.
- Led Community Division communications response to Ebola. Successfully managed local media relations to produce positive coverage of Sibley/Suburban readiness.
- Led discovery process and created message template for Suburban Hospital’s $75M capital campaign in support of its campus transformation.
- Increased employee attendance at town meetings by 400 percent.
- Redesigned physician newsletters.
- Created monthly community e-newsletters.
- Created Monthly Management Monitor newsletter providing summarized monthly message points for managers to share with staff.
- Redesigned online employee newsletters at both hospitals and converted them into daily publications that provide “one-stop” reading for internal news, eliminating multiple standalone emails each day.
- Successfully managed $2m budget.
SENIOR DIRECTOR, MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS AND PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Suburban Hospital, a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine, Bethesda, MD (1997-2017)
Responsible for developing and managing internal and external marketing and communications programs that increase awareness and preference for the Suburban Hospital brand and associated programs and services. Consultant to joint ventures, business partnerships, and multiple hospital departments and service lines, assisting them with development of marketing strategies and tactical plans. Chief spokesperson and counsel to senior management for media relations, crisis communication, and issues management. Specific program oversight included: branding, advertising, public affairs, media relations, web site, digital strategy, social media, call center, direct mail, publications, special events and internal communications. Major accomplishments:
- Designed and successfully executed comprehensive communications strategy for the transition of Suburban Hospital into the Johns Hopkins Health System.
- Initiated groundbreaking National Capital Region collaborative ad campaign with unified branding and messaging for Suburban and Sibley Hospitals and Johns Hopkins Community Physicians, transcending cultural differences and political challenges.
- Managed successful public affairs strategy to gain broad support among community and decision makers for Suburban Hospital’s 2020 campus enhancement project.
- Launched several major clinical programs including NIH Heart Center at Suburban Hospital, NIH Stroke Center at Suburban Hospital, Nighttime Pediatrics, Pediatric Emergency Center, and Suburban Breast Center.
- Achieved hundreds of news placements for programs and services in print and broadcast, local and national media. Managed launch of re-branding campaign including new visual identity and refined messaging.
- Successfully executed communications strategy to ensure reputation management following an employee homicide by another employee on hospital property.
CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS CONSULTANT
Founder, Millennium Marketing (Feb 1994-Jan 1997)
Clients included Hewlett-Packard Company and Fannie Mae
GROUP MARKETING SALES PROMOTION MANAGER
Hewlett-Packard Company Medical Group (Aug 1983-Jan 1994)
Managed high-level strategic marketing communications programs for $1 Billion leader in electro-medical industry. Responsibilities included executive communications and speeches, brochures, customer publications, special events, media relations, product publicity and security analyst relations.
Major accomplishments included development of first annual HP/HIMSS survey (Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society), later recognized by national media as a leading survey on trends in healthcare information management. Survey project was eventually re-branded by IBM. Supervised writing and production of worldwide customer magazine and coordinated executive communications for Group Vice President.
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC RELATIONS
Newton-Wellesley Hospital, Newton, MA
PUBLIC INFORMATION SPECIALIST
Melrose-Wakefield Hospital, Melrose, MA